What's your go-to drink on a hot day? Water? Maybe lemonade? Here's another option: A health and wellness expert posted a list of reasons to drink PICKLE JUICE. Here are the six benefits she came up with:
- It's good after a workout - Like Gatorade, it's full of electrolytes, including potassium and magnesium. Another one of those is salt though, so be careful. One cup of pickle juice has about a third of the sodium we're supposed to have in a whole day.
- It might help regulate your blood sugar - There's evidence that drinking a small amount of pickle juice every day can keep insulin levels in check.
- Some people claim it's a hangover cure - If it doesn't make you PUKE, the electrolytes might help you re-hydrate.
- Some types are loaded with probiotics, or healthy bacteria for your gut - It has to be a fancy brand though, because most pickle juice is pasteurized, which kills bacteria.
- It might help with muscle cramps - A study a while back looked into it. People's cramps went away faster when they drank a third-of-a-cup of pickle juice. They think it might have to do with all the vinegar in it.
- It could help you lose weight - In a 2009 study, people lost more weight when they drank a little bit every day. Again, it might be the vinegar.