When you're dating someone, thinking about marriage can be overwhelming. You're about to combine lives, and families, and bank accounts. So there are a million things to worry about. But there are also some ways to prepare yourself.
Here are a few questions you should ask your partner BEFORE you get married . . .
- How should we handle money? - Are we going to get a joint bank account? Who's going to put the bills in their name? How much debt do you have and what's our plan to get out of debt? All important decisions.
- How should we divide the chores? - 50/50 seems best unless one person works a lot more. Then the person who's not working as much might offer to pick up the slack.
- How are we going to handle disagreements? - Try pretend fighting, and see how it goes. If it turns into a REAL fight, that's a big clue you have issues to work out first.
- Are you open to couples therapy if we need it? - Being able to communicate what you are and aren't comfortable with is important.
- Where will we spend the holidays? - Will you do Thanksgiving with one family, and Christmas at another? Again, it's best to plan way ahead. Traditions are hard to break, and people get sensitive about the holidays.
- Do you want kids? And how will we parent? - Just make sure you're both on the same page, because it's one of the MOST important things to talk about.