Many of us have a lot of stress-inducing things going on in 2021. If you're having a hard time falling asleep, this technique is believed to help you fall into a slumber, faster!
The trick was originally used by the US army and was published in the book Relax and Win: Championship Performance back in 1981, but people are now bringing it back because of all the stress we have to deal with in 2021.
Here's what you should do if you want to try this sleep technique:
- Relax the muscles in your face, including tongue, jaw and the muscles around the eyes
- Drop your shoulders as far down as they'll go, followed by your upper and lower arm, one side at a time
- Breathe out, relaxing your chest followed by your legs, starting from the thighs and working down
You should then spend 10 seconds trying to clear your mind before thinking about one of the three following images:
- You're lying in a canoe on a calm lake with nothing but a clear blue sky above you
- You're lying in a black velvet hammock in a pitch-black room
- You say "don't think, don't think, don't think" to yourself over and over for about 10 seconds.
Hopefully this helps you fall asleep faster tonight and if not then just keep thinking about that canoe!