The next time you leave town, here are a few things to think about. Five mistakes that you make that can encourage burglars to break in:
- Leaving lights on when you're not home - It's fine if it's just one night, or they're on a timer. But leaving them on multiple days in a row could make it obvious no one's home.
- Leaving a key under the mat - If they decide you're not home, that's the first place they'll check. So pretty much any hiding spot is better.
- Leaving your blinds open, so they can see your stuff from the street - Especially if they can see big-ticket items, like electronics.
- Buying something expensive, then leaving the empty box outside - When you get a new flat screen TV, don't let the box sit out by your trash all week. And definitely don't leave it there when you're out of town.
- Having a ladder outside where they can access it - Most burglars won't carry one around with them. But if there's easy access to one, they're more likely to target your home. Especially if you left an upstairs window open.