John Legend is one step closer to achieving an EGOT.
Legend scored his first Emmy nomination Thursday morning for his role in NBC's Jesus Christ Superstar Live In Concert.
Legend will compete in the category against:
- Antonio Banderas for Genius: Picasso
- Darren Criss for The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
- Benedict Cumberbatch for Patrick Melrose
- Jeff Daniels for The Looming Tower
- Jesse Plemons for Black Mirror
If Legend wins, he will join an elite club of performers who have all won the entertainment industry's four major awards -- the Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony. Whoopi Goldberg, Rita Moreno, and Mel Brooks are among those who have accomplished this.
Legend's wife Chrissy Teigen shared her excitement for her husband -- and her sadness over her diminishing award shelf space.
13 nominations for Jesus Christ Superstar this morning! John got two emmy nominations! If he wins, he will complete his EGOT and my spike tv award will probably be moved. But it’s ok I AM SO PROUD!— christine teigen (@chrissyteigen) July 12, 2018