Divorce lawyers have to hear all about a couple's marital issues before they help dissolve a union. Their clients spill all the problems on the table. So when divorce attorneys were asked to give advice on keeping a union together it was spot-on stuff...so listen up.
- Be the first to say “I’m sorry.” The saying is “you can be right or you can be happy.”
- “Secure your own oxygen mask in the event of marital turbulence.” In order to figure out where the negative emotions are coming from you need to take care of yourself.
- Be honest, but not that honest.
- Plan a monthly “state of the union” meeting. Poor communication will torpedo any marriage.
- Have “unsexy” conversations about finances and keep them business-like. Money trouble is the number one cause of divorce, so being on the same page is huge.
- Remember that not everyone is as happy as they look on social media. Don’t compare.
- Make your own couple focused holiday. Make some up.
- If you always win arguments, you may lose your marriage.
Source: Huffington Post