I can cook a very basic meal and some of these may be true. But I'm certainly not a gourmet chef! Here's a list of qualities that mean you're a truly good cook.
- You cook things from scratch.
- You can whip something up using random stuff, even if you're low on groceries.
- You can cook multiple things at once, and get them all done at the same time.
- You know which herbs and spices go well together.
- You can finely chop things fast, but safely.
- You know how to poach an egg.
- You can guess the ingredients just by tasting something.
- You can cook a steak perfectly without cutting into it to see if it's done.
- You experiment with different recipes and add your own twist.
- You can cook complicated meals WITHOUT following a recipe.
There is a list of 50 qualities of a good chef here.
Photo courtesy of Port Of San Diego